Wednesday 21 August 2013

Khao Yai National Park - The first Thai Trek

So after much talk of going to the national park we finally arranged the trip. I decided not to meet the crew for a pre-national park night out in Korat because I wanted to save some money and be fresh as a daisy for the park tour. This back-fired in horrendous fashion when I went for a drink with a co-teacher and her Thai boyfriend who I met numerous times and is a good guy. One thing led to another and before I knew it I woke up to my phone ringing!! I was three hours behind schedule and missed meeting a friend in Korat (2hrs away).......MAJOR RUSH as the last bus is at 9.40am to Korat. In a heep, forgot loads of items but not the most important thing, BEAR GRYLLS adventure shirt!!

- Meet crew at Korat, there in the same boat and two members aren't even awake yet! Arrive at hostel. Bustin and I are in a different hotel near the others (what a great decision that was!). Got abuse for shirt and buff!

- Despite being the organiser I was the last to get on the truck!! Randomly stop to see a small snake. Seen, held and eaten so that was boring! Went into a cave, held a creature related to the Scorpion family! More driving. Saw millions of bats exit from the top of a cave. Impressive. Went swimming in a natural spring/pond and held a millipede. Felt weird. Held its back and felt the strength of it trying to pull away.

- Plank Off. After weeks of training for the plank off against an English man who on paper should destroy me it was time in our hungover states to plank off for 2,000 Baht (50 euro). My top time was 12mins 50secs. I really just wanted to beat that. I knew the English lad took the bet too lightly and grossly underestimated me. That coupled with no one really giving me a chance got under my skin a little and made me want it more. Like why would I make a bet for that much if I didn't think I could win!! I was in a bad way after the 4th minute, worse then in training and the English man was solid as a rock favouring to focus instead of my approach of looking around and engaging with those watching. The self-elected referee was extremely bias and was trying to rattle me by imposing warnings which weren't agreed upon and were arbitrary at best. Video evidence vindicates any suggested wrong doing. At the 10th minute there was some desperation but I held out to take the win! Well needed money!

- Food, drink, crazy/strange Karaoke bar! Mags flip flops end up in ditch. The Monk wrestles Claire and I decide to have a few over to my hotel for a wee swim..........WELL!!

- Next morning. Problem. Complaints about swim. Apologised. 20mins into tour and driver says we have to go back and talk to both hotels and the family who rented the private pool that we were in!. Put up a SIGN. Thai family refuse to pay bill. Contract between both hotels in jeopardy, Bustin and I asked to leave, Mountain out of a mole hill. So much hassle because six people for a maximum of 30 mins unknowingly went for a swim in a private pool while the owners looked at us with out protest. When we realised the situation we got out. Thai family saw an opportunity not to pay and that's what caused the whole problem. If everyone decided not to pay due to some unhappiness with a hotel or its guests than no hotel would be in business, absolute jokers! I'll keep the towel, thanks!

- Finally we got trekking, great to be back at it! Some people fell, the river crossing was fun, assisted some of the girls, climbed a few rocks with Craig and was about to jump off them into the base of the waterfall having got the lads to ask the guide but just before I did it they shouted over not to as the guide says there is rocks, those jokers didn't even ask the first time!! Lucky..yes. The best part was when it started to rain heavily, it made it more of a wee adventure. Nice chats. Saw two waterfalls, one of which was in the Beach and the other had 198 steps down to it. Obviously nothing close to the volcano trail hikes or Peru but still enjoyable.

- Dinner, wine, nice chat with Kaye, Karaoke, stomach rub, bed. Monday while on route home I decided out of nowhere to bail off the bus, not even a goodbye, nice pizza! Good weekend and some proper tourist activities

No comments:

Post a Comment