Sunday 14 July 2013

Pad/Visa/Job

Finally this week I got the green light to move from my isolated hotel room off a highway with no WiFi or phone signal to a two story house in a gated complex with CCTV, phone signal and free WiFi.The new pad has great party potential, its just a pity my town is not the easiest to get to!! I have also got a little balcony and 5 English TV channels, one of which is the Golf Channel.
So on Thursday I get a call to say I have to go to Korat on Friday provided the documents which were sent in the post arrive for me. They didn't until that morning, thankfully! This was short notice and I had mid-terms planned for Friday, the students won't be happy.

I headed off first thing Saturday on a 2hr bus journey to Korat, 15min motorbike taxi to labour office, got work permit, 15min tuk tuk to the mall, McDonalds, 30min motorbike taxi to immigration office, 2 hours of waiting until I'm seen and told I am missing some document, I ring the school on her request, no joy and than I ring my consultant who talked to the official. The official pulls out the immigration manual to discover she was wrong and granted me the visa extension. Oh and the taxi driver was waiting the whole time as there is no taxi's at the immigration office to bring you back. He flew back to the mall with me bracing for impact numerous times. I tipped him 100 baht for waiting and for driving pretty well. 6k day.

Made the last bus by 10mins were a man from my town began to try and teach me Thai, at one point he noticed a cut I had and started rubbing cream on it! Like when I have both earphones in its a good sign I'm not up for conversation, maybe if I only had one in it would be good manners and a possible conversation may happen but not two. I need to find his restaurant as he wants to drink whiskey with me!

After all that I was pretty wrecked but than two things happened. I got two packages from home that had got delayed with crisps, chocolate, a book and some clothes I had asked for, delighted. It gets better while on the balcony having a beer I check my email, boom, I have secured a three week job as Assistant Trainer on a paradise island with accommodation included!
I had to celebrate a little so I went to the best place in town and ordered...... the garlic pig colon!! Dear oh dear Linnane! A few beers, a talk with the owners, a dedicated song to me, an interested waitress and home I went!!

Sunday was very relaxed, bit of exercise, nice chat and coffee with Teacher Helen, haircut which had to be explained with accompanying pictures, lesson planning, book, film and sleep. Ok OK another balcony beer!!

Its been a hectic week with moving accommodation, mid-terms and the visa run but it ended very well with a job, a good pad, boxes from home and a visa extension!! #happy

No comments:

Post a Comment