Monday 11 November 2013

Holidays Part 2

With training over it was back on holiday and this time Waller was with me! First stop Full Moon party in Ko Phangan!! I had left Krabi without David as he wasn't up for the bus and I couldn't locate him. Needless to say I was in pretty poor condition from the previous night’s entertainment!!

When I got there I ended up on the wrong side of the Island so took a break in a cafe and used the WiFi. I eventually found my hostel and since I once again didn't have a phone it took a considerable amount of time to locate the other groups and meet David.

It was some sight to see that many people on the beach with fire skipping and buckets everywhere. There was some scary drinking going on for the ext 2/3 days that pushed me past my limits!! On day three we went to Masons Pub for what was meant to be a drink or two but ended up being a full session with lunch and dinner there!! I also bought a cheap phone and many people drew pirate related things on their face as there was a pirate show on that night in a very remote location. At that show two of my friends came running over to me saying “they had just slapped the barman because he slapped them and that they were going to be shot”, me “wonderful well let’s get a move on than!!” The following day Dave and I missed the ferry to Ko Tao Island as it was booked up so we just took it easy and watched some films in a bar.   

Ko Tao is a pretty small Island renowned for its large amount of diving schools. Before this I had said I would do some diving without any research or consideration and after some debate David, myself, Sarah, Max and Charlie decided we would do the 4 day SSI Open Water certified course!! It was great that Sarah and Max had the same plan as David and myself. Max and Fran are going back to the UK which is a pity because they are a great couple and I enjoy hanging out with them.

Day one of the course consisted of three short videos and a study guide sheet we had to fill in.
Day two was more videos and another study guide sheet followed by practice in the pool. In the pool we had to swim 8 lengths and thread water to prove we could actually swim!! At this point I knew I had damaged my body at Full Moon because I was struggling more than I should have been. Next up was the kit (tank, regulator, fins, bc and mask) tutorial which was fine. It’s pretty simple to assemble and dissemble the kit. In the pool we had the full kit on!! We got use to breathing and did some skills such as half mask full, mask full, mask removal, buoyancy, kit off and on while under water, hand signals and some others. The mask skills were challenging at first but got easier. We had great banter with our instructor Nat although I think she would have liked us to talk less and stop asking silly questions!!

Day three was the first two dives after a written exam which I passed (everyone does). I was getting worried as it was something totally new and I didn't know how my ears and myself would react to the situation. We got on the boat which was packed, the instructors each had 5 or 6 students, kits were everywhere and we were preparing our kits in cramped conditions for the first time!! I was partnered up with Max as we both had ear concerns. The kit was on and bang I did the long stride entry into the sea. We gathered on the line with David first to go down, he goes below and seconds later pops up a little panicked due to a flashback of him being forced under water as a child (David got over his fear and went on to complete the advanced diving course).

Max and I as predicted were having terrible ear pain on the way down, having to stop numerous times and move back up a little in order to equalise. I was very conscious of breathing in water or my mask filling up to a point were I felt very uncomfortable and close to throwing in the towel. We did some skills on top of the water (kit off/kit on, two rescue techniques). The second dive we had skills on our knee’s under the water and this was scary. We did the easy stuff, regulator retrieval, sharing your air, buddy emergency accent but worst of all was the half mask and full mask clear. That's when you fill your mask with water and then have to clear it by blowing out your nose. It’s an easy technique made harder due to being down 10m and having fish bite an open wound on my leg!! My turn, instructor in front of me, half clear goes okay not great, full clear I didn't use the right technique, swallowed some water, grabbed the instructor as I was very close to panicking and going for the surface. I did it and calmed down, thankfully. A lot of the credit has to go to Nat because when I grabbed her I was looking right at her and she gave me a look I can’t describe other than it was calming, serious, intense and basically said "you’re going nowhere Jer, do it". I'm not being dramatic, some people find this very easy, I didn't and I won't forget that look.

Day 4 was two very early dives one of which was 18m with full mask removal. I was bricking it after yesterdays mask skills not going so well. I rehearsed on land and talked to the assistant instructor whose advice was very helpful. The first dive was just fun, no skills, we saw some cool fish. However there was many people diving and I couldn't see much at times due to the storm above, currents, bubbles from divers and the fact I am visually impaired anyway!! I got disorientated and had trouble with my mask. Thankfully Kat grabbed me and got me back to the group! I wasn't having fun. The previous day Sarah and Charlie had gotten lost causing everyone to surface and then re-dive so it happens especially in poor visibility.

Skill time, on the bottom, very nervous, talking to myself, instructor in front of me, I wait, go time, nailed it, relief, awesome. We did a few more skills and than for the first time I actually enjoyed swimming around down there. I think fun dives are the way I'll go from here, I've no burning desire to go super deep right now!! My right ear is extremely itchy for some reason and crackling despite not diving for two days!! But I can still hear!!

After a day of rest in Ko Tao it was time to start heading back to my town, a journey I was not looking forward to at all. I said goodbye to David and wished him all the best with the rest of his travels.  Obviously it was great to see and talk to someone from back home. I have no idea when I’ll be seeing Mr. Waller again but I sure will enjoy a pint with him back home.  

I decided to break up my journey with a stop in Bangkok for one or two days rather than do it all in one go. I did some shopping and purchased my 5th phone in Thailand. It is not a known brand name but it is just as good as my old Samsung phone and a lot cheaper. I went to the cinema which is a novelty for me as I do not have a cinema in my town or one near me that is in English!  


The end to another great holiday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment